Thursday, April 20, 2017

The Burning (The Haunting of Grey Hills #1) by Jennifer Skogen

Synopsis

Title: The Burning
Series: The Haunting of Grey Hills
Author: Jennifer Skogen
Genre: Mature Young Adult/Young Adult/Paranormal/Horror
My Rating: 3/5
Add To: Goodreads


Everyone in Grey Hills knows about the fire that burned down the old high school fifty years ago. Macy Pierce grew up hearing horror stories about the students who burned alive inside it. It was a tragic accident...right? After Macy's brother dies over the summer, she doesn't expect the first day of her junior year to feel normal. But when she starts seeing things - including a teacher bursting into flames - she begins to question her own sanity. Now, she sees signs of the dead everywhere, and she and a group of new friends may be all that stands between the new high school and a doorway to hell.





My Thoughts 
★★★ Stars

When I saw this book in the library, I didn't even have to read what it was about. The cover alone made me know I HAD to read it. So I got home and that's exactly what I did. 

And I quickly realized this book should not be in Middle Grade/Young Adult section. It should be in Mature YA/Adult. 



As much as I really want to give this book 5 stars, I can't. The Burning has potential. It really does. But there is just a lot that really ticked me off. Such as:

-the profanity. It's was unnecessary. I could understand a few, but this went way over the limit and were placed in ways that made me think the author had no idea what to say or put, so she just threw those in. 
They cussed so much that by chapter 2 I decided to keep track of all cussing. By chapter seven, I could no longer put my pen down because they came so often. 
*Shit-23
*Fuck-54
*Hell-3
*Ass-3
*Damn-2
*Bitch-2
*Bastards-1
***I'm sure I missed a few, so there are probably more.***

The other problems I had with this book was all the drinking and yet no adult noticed at all. Seriously? You gotta be kidding. And they just did it nonchalantly. And also there was a scene that was clearly an assault yet it was just brushed off like it was nothing which REALLY pissed me off. 

And lets not forget how Claire WANTED to make someone have PTSD. Like that's just some big joke. OR later when we learn that Macy once tried to hurt herself by cutting........ With a freaking butter knife. 

Are. You. Kidding. PTSD and cutting are not JOKES! They aren't somthing you just take lightly. And in this book they were unnecessary and uncalled for. 


Now the story itself? 
Oh man it was so amazing and creepy. I mean if the cusswords were removed thus book could have easily been a 5 star book. I didn't see that ending coming at all. And the ghost dude scared the crap out if me. Lol. Every time he popped up, I looked around scared because it just FELT like he was there. Mega creepy. Lol

The characters are interesting. I'll give them that. 

I got book 2 and 3 when I grabbed book 1....so hopefully it gets better and they chill out with the cussing.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top